Here is a basic list of things that are good to keep on hand for all hedgehog owners. Please consult a vet before administering any home treatments.
- You Vet’s phone number and the number of a 24 hour emergency clinic that treats hedgehogs
- 1 Can of Hills Perscription Diet A/D – Canine/ Feline wet food (Available from your vet) – For thin, sick, or under-nourished hedgehogs; helps put on some weight.
- 1 Tube of either Marshall’s Ferret FlavorVite, 8 in 1 FerretVite, or Nutri-Cal for Ferrets – High Calorie paste for hedgehogs that can’t keep weight on.
- Bagbalm – Has anticeptic properties as well as numbs pain and tastes icky. Also good for those tatty ears.
- Bedadine – For cleaning and dieinfecting wounds.
- Small Nail Clippers
- Corn Starch or Flour – For accidential nips when trimming nails.
- Portable Heat Source – For transporting a cold hedgehog to the vet.
- Syringes: 1 curved tip dental syringe, 1 1ml small syringe – for medications or force weeding/ watering.
- Clean hand towel – for drying hedgehog.
- Clean warm blanket
- Magnifing Glass (to get a better look at a small wounds or ingrown quills)
- Saliene – for eye injuries.
- Oatmeal bath (Aveeno Bath) – To sooth skin irritated from Quilling.
- Pedialyte or Gatorade for dehydration.